Thursday, January 19, 2006

Tired of getting sick? Sick of getting tired?

Well scientists can now help you with the first problem. According to scientists, getting really cold can result in a (drumroll) cold!!!!

I guess this is one of those things I've always assumed. Probably because my parents told me so...and their parents told them the same thing. I am glad that the high cost of healthcare is going to fund studies such as this. Although it's England so who knows. At least it didn't come from the UofMN. This story seems so odd to me that I am at a loss of words to mock it. I am curious as to what other theories they had as to why people are always sick in the winter. The fewer hours of daylight? Basketball season? Christmas shopping anxiety? Wool allergies?

I guess I always thought that being really cold kind of weakened the immune system. But what the heck do I know. When people are frozen in ice for thousands of years and then thawed out they never seem sick, just confused by our non-solar thawing methods and our strange clothes.

In Mark news, I have two days left of vacation and then two months left of work. Also in Japan it's cold and EVERYONE seems to be sick. In Hawaii it's 80 and no one seems to be sick. Of course the reasons for this are most likely poison gas residue in the trains as well as poor immune systems due to strange fashion and driving on the left side of the road. Hawaiians are of course very healthy due to their salt water humidifiers and big mac IV's.

Back to Mark news. I have determined that I have an attention span of 22 minutes and 30 seconds....give or take about 30 seconds depending on if I'm sitting in a chair or on the floor. The study was also performed at room temp while I was sick but I'm not sure if that affects anything.

5 comments:

Jordan said...

I found this comment the most interesting:
"When people are frozen in ice for thousands of years and then thawed out they never seem sick, just confused by our non-solar thawing methods and our strange clothes."

I had no idea you had extensive experience thawing out people, but that is the only possible conclusion I can come to.

Also I'm pretty sure the cold doesn't cause sickness, but what it does do is increase the amount of bodily fluids excreted (snot) and this allows pathogens to be more easily transmitted. But I could be wrong.

chen said...

I watched 20/20 the other month and they said that getting a cold from being cold is a myth. But I've heard that show is a bunch of liberal garbage, so they were probably lying to me.

Jordan: are you saying that viruses are attracted to snot? Snot only goes one way though-out- so how do viruses get in?

Anonymous said...

I've never thawed out anyone...but I was born in the early 1400's.

Anonymous said...

I guess I always just assumed that you get a cold because someone else with a cold got their germs on you. Being cold probably just makes you more suseptable to it, but then so would being tired. But, where did the cold originate from? Perhaps one person had one cold eons ago (the "Adam" of colds), and since then its just mutated to take the form of billions of different colds.

Jordan said...

Chen: no, viruses are not attracted to snot any more than they are to anything else I don't think. But if a person has a cold there will be viruses in his snot just like a lot of other places in him. The fact that it is cold means that there is increased snot flow for everyone--including people who have the cold already. So those people become messier when it's cold out and every time they touch a door knob or any public thing there's an increased chance that some of their excess snot will end up there and get others sick...at least people who don't wash their hands enough.