Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A funny story for Chris

In Japan there was this group of 5 boys. They were wild, out of control...or depending on how you look at it, they were just normal 10 year old boys whose parents tried to get rid of their energy by dropping them off for English lessons. They had two teachers before me, but these teachers were unable to get a grip on the class so they were turned over to the teacher of all teachers aka me.

Too lazy and unconcerned to try and make them learn English I let them just run around and do whatever they wanted. However, I did regulate their chaos. For those of you who don't know what K1 is, it is the Japanese kickboxing org. The goal of these young men appeared to be to emulate their heroes of K1. My job was pretty simple in theory, but with the language aspect it got a little harder. No strikes to the groin and no tag-teaming were really my only rules. After they got this down (which I guess they never really did) my only job was to stand in the middle before they started and signal them to begin by dropping my hand and yelling "FIGHT!"

Headshot, bodyshot, combo, nice shot and fight were the only words they learned. But I like to think they learned so much more. Discipline, respect, honor. These are all very valuable in Japanese culture. They also learned to never give up. This was evident in the fact that the larger kid, Kazuki, won every time. But the challengers kept coming.

I would have owned them, even all at once. They all knew that.

1 comment:

Chris Hill said...

You have brought a smile to my face. You could totally have owned them.