Saturday, September 24, 2005

I teach English to Japanese people

In this lesson, the lady was supposed to learn how to reply politely to someone who is telling you a tall tale or something like that. Things like - are you sure, that couldn't have happened, yeah, whatever etc. So I started off the lesson by telling her the story of the stretchy guy who breaks into houses by sliding through the chimney, toilet or vents. He then kills them and eats their liver. He needs the livers to sustain him for his thirty year hibernation. And when that ends, everything will start all over again. One of the classic X-files episodes from season one. Ideally, after about three sentences, the lady would say "yeah, sure, and bees might fly out of my butt." But she insisted on listening to the whole thing without speaking. And then when I was finished she looked shocked. I am not sure if it was because she couldn't believe what her instructor just told her, or if it was because she was scared for her life. Anyway, it was funny.

Yesterday, after getting tired of the kids I was teaching, I changed the language from something like "I am hungry" to "I am hopeless." It's amusing how I can just say that sentence a few times and they will all repeat it over and over again as they parade around the room with big smiles on their faces.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha.....genius Mark!

Mike Staffa said...

hahaha! oh the joys of teaching the Japanese.

when are we going to Subway again?