Saturday, August 06, 2005

Kamikochi



Originally uploaded by terw0015.
She was working on her flowers when I asked her how to get to the temple. She started pointing in every different direction and went inside. I could hear her washing her hands. I was about 90% sure that she said "just a minute." But my Japanese sucks. So I said "thank you" and started walking off. Then she said it again and came out with a tomato sliced in two and her cane. She gave me the tomato and started walking me down the street. She was very Yoda like, she had the size, the cane, and I am sure she had the wisdom too. I don't like tomatoes, but I forced myself to eat it. When I took too long of a break she would point to it as if to remind me it was still in my hand. Then I would take another bite and use my smile to reassure her that her tomatoes were excellent. She kept talking to me as if I understood Japanese, maybe because I kept nodding my head like I understood Japanese. The tomato had left its nasty residue all over my hand - nothing like ketchup or tomato soup either. I managed to choke down half of the tomato. We arrived at the temple, she turned around and waddled back. I chucked the other half of the tomato into the temple bushes. I like things with tomatoes in them, just not straight tomatoes. After the whole experience I went camping and had the typical non-blogworthy camping experience. Here's a pic.

No comments: