Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Why are they in such a hurry?

So I have been in Japan for about 3 weeks now. This is my first blog since I arrived. I just got internet this morning - a bday present from Mark. So I guess I will start my Japanese blogging by explaining one of the things I find unique about Japan. First of all, there are many unique things about Japan - especially for an American. But there is one thing that seems to be very unique and for some reason concerns me more than it probably should. And that is the actions of the elderly on the subways.

Sometimes the subways are packed, people can barely fit in the doors. For this reason, it is understandable for the old people to want to get one of the few seats. Even when the trains are not packed, often some people will have to stand. So it is completely understandable when an elerly person just cuts right into the line. I think it would be ideal if people would just give up their seats for them, but apparently that's not how it works. So maybe budging is a necessary evil, either way, I don't mind it.

But the problem comes when it's time to get off. Where are they going in such a hurry? It happens all the time. I spend my whole train trip standing just because I let some old lady sit in a seat. And what happens when it's time to get off? She cuts me off! It happens all the time - its usually old ladies. And it bothers me. I let them get there seats, that's fair. Now when the train stops, let all the people who are standing get off and then the people who are in seats can leave. I now make a point of not allowing old ladies to cut in front of me. So when I am waiting by the door, the train stops, and I see her sneaking towards the door thinking she can just walk right in front of me, what happens? That's right. I don't let her. I purposly block her. I keep just enough space inbetween myself and the people on my left and right so that the old lady can't fit through the crack. It happens everytime. As soon as the train starts to stop, out of the corner of my eye or in the reflection of the door I see a small figure closing in, like Yoda but faster, weaving and squeezing through any little spot, just to get right up to the door for a fast exit. But now I am the one doing the cutting. Because their legs are so short it looks as if they are walking really fast, but one of my steps equals three of theirs. So one simple sidestep and their route has disappeared.

So the moral of this story? If you are sitting in a seat on the train, let the people who are standing get off first. Remember, if you are 3 feet tall, speeding along trying to carelessly pass someone and that person happens to be 6 feet tall, what's going to happen when he cuts you off?

1 comment:

Mike Staffa said...

Mark speaks the truth. I have used his method of blocking now and it really works!