Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Politics in sports

Sorry that I always have to rip on the Strib. Well, actually this is more ripping on the UofM and I guess the Strib for bothering to publish it....then on me for bothering to blog about it. And since I am at Century now I can't access the story because I can't remember my password/username. Why do they make people log in to read the story? That is dumb. You have to become a member...but don't worry, it's free!!!! Well what's the point of that? I imagine it has something to do with the Patriot Act. Anyway, on to what inspired this in the first place.

U won't reconsider sports ban over 'Fighting Sioux'
A University of Minnesota policy discouraging the school's athletic teams from competing against the University of North Dakota in any sport except hockey will stand. Updated Oct. 10, 2007

So what they are saying is that the UofM, a DivI school, will not compete in any sports against ND, a DivII school, except for it's hockey program which is in DivI.

In similar news, my former HS has recently declared that it's football team will under no circumstances compete against ANY teams from the NFL, nor will it play against the Jr High powder puff team.

There should be a separation of sport and state. And what is so offensive about the Fighting Sioux? Is it because of the Sioux, fighting, or both? Well I will read the story tonight and maybe update/edit this post.

4 comments:

Laura Ibsen said...

I agree - that is so dumb, and hypocritical. The gophers still play the Illinois Fighting Illini, which is another Native American term I believe.

Plus - they know that they'll lose money if the gophers don't play the Siox in hockey. Hockey is the best sport the U has going for them right now, so they can put their outrage over the name aside for that.

When they announced this I just assumed that the liberal folks over at the U wanted to pander to all the liberals who donate money so they "took a stand" against something "horribly racist". Ridiculous.

Colleen said...

UGH. Get OVER it. Seriously. DO you hear me complaining that Notre Dame is the Fighting Irish. NO. Flippin a. I'd consider it a compliment.

Mark said...

New rule: anytime you are on some group and you are picking a team/group name or something it must always start with "fighting."

Laura Ibsen said...

I guess it just doesn't have the same kick as "Cold Shoulder Sioux" or "Passive Agressive Irish".