Friday, February 16, 2007

Recycling

I used to feel bad because I never recycled. Now I recycle and I feel bad because I do. Somewhere over the past couple months I seem to have developed a distaste for the whole concept. I guess not really the concept itself, but sort of what goes along with it. I will throw it out in short because I don't feel like typing:

I have to pay to recycle. I also have to clean and separate everything.
I don't have a problem with the later, but why do I have to pay when I am essentially giving someone resources? Is it more expensive to have paper recycled than to cut down some tree and make it? I should have to pay for garbage pick-up and I should get paid for recycling. I assume the recycling industry is getting paid to pick it up and paid to get rid of it. On to the consumer side of things. I hate it when products are advertised as "made from recycled material" and then they're just as expensive or even more expensive than the regular product. They are trying to guilt-trip people into buying their product, all the while they are simply getting a huge deal on the manufacturing end. Now when I recycle instead of feeling all righteous like usual, I just feel like I am being suckered into some assembly line without even knowing it.

For the record, I still recycle, I am just not very enthusiastic about it. I am that way about a lot of things.

And Century college has free printer use. They just got a new one, it prints really fast. I wish they had one with the option of punching holes in it for the binder. That would save me about 10 seconds a day and I would probably be more enthusiastic about printing.

Naptime.
Mark

2 comments:

Mike Staffa said...

check out my blog about the japanese army.

Chris Hill said...

"Is it more expensive to have paper recycled than to cut down some tree and make it?"

Yes. That's why the products cost more too. In all honesty, it's kind of a big scam, and the only thing you're really saving is not filling up a landfill... except it takes energy to recycle, so you're actually polluting, then. Besides, we're not really hurting for landfill space. Recycling can make you feel good, though, so that's a plus. Especially since feelings are more important than anything else, ever.