Wednesday, June 28, 2006

San Cristobal, Palenque, and a string of ranting traveling tangents

Sumidero Canyon, hostels and hippies. Palenque, ruins and sun. Buses. That pretty much sums up my time since whenever I last blogged. Buses always make me mad. Being stuck next to 20-30 people for a few hours...there is sure to be one that gets on my nerves. So here they are...

I was sitting next to this really fat lady and her fat kid was sitting on her lap. I have nothing against fat people, but I don't feel like I should give up half of my seat just so the person next to me can be a little more comfortable. So instead of doing so, I held my ground and decided to use half of the armrest separating us. This meant that I had to sit for a few hours with this lady's rolls hanging over my arm and lap. She was making me so angry and that just made me more stubborn. I'm not sure whose sweat it was (Mex is hot), but when I got up there was a lot of it. To make matters worse, they were eating the whole time. I guess it's important to note that this wasn't an afternoon trip. The first meal came at 8am (a normal breakfast time). Doritos and Coke. I wanted to puke. The second meal came at 10am. Tortillas and chicken. Seeing this chubby little 7 year old wipe her greasy fingers all over her shirt was just repulsive. After a few hours the bus made a stop, some seats cleared and I left. On buses kids ride for free. This should be changed. Every person should have to pay for and sit in a seat. On my 2 round-trips from the States to Japan I was amazed at how many people go on vacations with their less than 5 month old babies. I guess it is possible that they are moving or something and then it would of course be necessary. But why would you want spend 20 hours on a plane, twice, with a baby who you know is going to cry the entire trip until it becomes exhausted from doing so and falls asleep - for 15 minutes. Obviously there is something about 20 hour flights and/or busrides that really irritates infants, thus irritating everyone else. There should be some kind of special tariff or something on children that are less than 1 year old. Also, feeding your kid Doritos and chicken for breakfast should violate one of the Rules of Common Sense that someone should develop (although really they shouldn't need to).

The next bus had this guy behind me who was snoring really loud. I couldn't reproduce this noise if I tried. It was awful. This was a nightbus. That trip sucked. Then it arrived at 4am and I hung out on the street for 2 hours until a hotel opened. Anyway, I would feel rude for waking someone up even though I don't think I should feel that way. Even if you can't help it, keeping everyone else awake with your sinus problems is just rude.

Hippies really disgust me (not to be confused with anger). All the hippies I have met have been nice and everything. But just talking to them I get this sort of distaste in my mouth. I don't know a better way to describe it. Around the UofM there are all sorts of hippy looking kids...but these are not hippies, they are posers. The true hippy wakes up in the afternoon everyday and then proceeds to do nothing except smoke weed, drink, play cards and listen to music until 4am. They do this everyday. To them there is no difference between Saturday and Wednesday. Just the whole idea of doing absolutely nothing with your life seems very strange to me now (even if I kind of used to be like that). Some of these guys I've met have just been on a 5 year life-vacation, doing the same nothing everyday.

The thing about really fat people and hippies (or anyone else with habits that are the opposite of the ones I want) that intrigues me is that whenever I am around them I become filled with ambition to be the opposite. While this lady is sucking the fat off of the chicken bone I just feel like exercising. When I'm sitting around the dinner table with a bunch of stoners I just want to do anything that is even a little productive. This sort of weirdo contact derived inspiration(is there a non-Mark term for this?) seems like it could be a very valuable tool for the rest of my life. So next time I start falling behind at life I just need to spend an hour or two with a person who is completely wasting his.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A little negative reinforcement never hurt anyone. :)