Wednesday, February 08, 2006

two birds

Long after I'd arrived home from Ghana I began to regret not sending my bulk emails to myself. I updated everyone on what was going on but never kept a copy. I plan on doing this in Guatemala. I think I will just be adding them to my blog. Two birds with one stone you know. Or something like that. Here is an email I just sent to my aunt's. It basically sums up my entire 10 months here. Note to self: you were in a bad mood when you wrote it...and you still are. I had a long NOTE TO FUTURE SELF blog planned. That will be later............



How come I never hear from any of you? Where are the "aunt updates?" I get the Nate email updates like once every six months...and when I graduated Nate didn't even know how to work a computer. I think he wrote all his papers with a pencil he whittled. Anyway, you have probably been wondering where all the "mark updates" have been over the last year (ok maybe not). Well, there has been nothing to update on. But I am sending one along anyway.

I teach English to Japanese people, since I have a very small frame of reference I can't be sure if it's this job or work in general....but I am currently wondering how people work for their entire lives, work sucks. As I sit in the staff room cutting and pasting "resources" that will hit the trash before they ever get used for anything - I stare at the folder containing the "resignation slips" and ignore its taunts and insults. But lately it has been teasing me a lot. The only reason I haven't quit is because I have loads of cash in the bank and nothing to spend it on.... no wait, it's because my parents want to come visit at the end of my contract...in about 2 months.

I just emailed my dad and asked him if he would prefer to backpack around India for a month as opposed to two weeks in J land. We'll see what he says. I am anticipating either my mom deletes it or he replies with "I would love to but...I must work for 4 hours a week." I also invited my mom...I know she could only come for 2 weeks though. Oh well. Next time you hear grandma talking about how adventurous her son is, just remind her that he shot down a month long chance to bond with his eldest. Wanna come? we never hang out anymore

Well, outside of teaching for 35 or so hours a week, commuting for the 50 min each way and trying to meet girls on the internet I spend most of my free time at martial arts. Four days a week. It is my only real hobby here...maybe ever.

Well, a few weeks ago Nate emailed me one of those "so mark, I heard you.." emails. It was a little off, so... I plan on heading back to MN around mid april to visit MPLS, Duluth and (drumroll) LP. I have to renew my drivers license. And then I will be boarding a plane to Guatemala. I plan on staying there (or in that region) until I speak spanish. And that's about all.

Hope all is well. In case you ever have those childish "I'm his favorite aunt" competitions...well I can't confirm anything...except that my address book only has 3 aunts in it from the Terwey side. hahaha. Tell Ann I say hello. I hope everything is going ok in the West. I'll see you around someday.
your fav nephew
Mark

No comments: