Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Head shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes.

I had my first kid’s class yesterday. It didn’t go too bad. It’s amazing how smooth things can seem when no one is watching. Teaching kids was when I realized how nice it is to be working for an English teaching company that doesn’t care about the actual learning part – just the money. Apparently sometime during the last few months I was kids trained. I don’t remember any of that. I do remember a nice girl singing and dancing, but that’s all.

So, to sum up my group of kids, I basically just sat there saying things like “is he walking” or something. And ideally they would say “yes” or “no.” Even better, they would say, “he is walking.” But that did not happen. Pointing to a picture I asked “is he walking?” I am sure they would have replied if they were not so busy entertaining themselves. One girl did sit there and appear to be listening. But even if she was it would have been difficult due to the screaming from the one dude as he did laps around the room while twirling his shirt over his head. The other kid was having fun squeezing his own butt cheeks and making farting noises with his mouth. I actually kind of liked “teaching” these kids. It was entertaining. The only thing I am dreading is that someday I am going to have to do it while someone observes me. I imagine I will be about ready to quit by then anyway.

Also, a poem from my friend Margaret (i think the "mark" she refers to may be me):
mark my friend is bored in japan, needs to get out and see more of the land, beautiful and abundant as it may be, mark doesnt realise there is much more to see, his eyes already fixed on the road ahead, without stopping to indulge on the path that led, time will fly and he eventually will see, what a wonderful experience japan can be.

2 comments:

Mike Staffa said...

thats a great poem!

Anonymous said...

I would have payed to see those kids running around in your room. Sounds like trial by fire. I'm not exactly sure how you have kids behave if you can't speak to them. Good luck with that.

Maybe you should hang out with your friend more, anyone that would write a poem for you must think you are cool.