Saturday, January 29, 2005

A $30 steak

I went out to eat with my aunt, uncle and parents. It was at a fancy resturant somewhere in Hawaii, I don't even know where. The lights were dim, everyone was dressed up, and the food was expensive. I felt akward, like I did in high school, but for different reasons. I think for my own well-being I should, in the future, stay away from any "high class" environment. By high class I basically mean any place where people are dressed up and would think it was strange if I wiped my hands on my pants instead of a napkin. The menu was full of local Hawaiian dishes that I had never heard of. Fortunately there was one for steak, so of course I ordered it. I was also lucky enough to have 3 knives. Two were identical and the other was a little sharper. The sharp one was obviously for the steak. I have no idea what the other ones were for. They did, however, remind me that a long time ago I promised myself I would learn how to juggle. While I have mastered the tennis balls, I have yet to attempt anything sharper. But the resturant was a nice reality check. I am a 23 year old male who still hasn't learned to juggle knives. The five years of my life that I invested in "higher learning" have yet to provide any financial benefits - and most likely never will. I am positive that if I had invested those five years in learning how to juggle I could be one of Hawaii's top street performers.

I had no clue how I wanted my steak so I asked the waitress to use her best judgement and choose for me. My steak was red. I am assuming it's because it takes the least amout of work. I was thinking that within the next 24 hours I would regret eating it - but so far I haven't. I did, however, have a very strange dream. I dreamt that I was living at my old house in Minneapolis. I opened the freezer to find chocolate mint ice cream. While it wasn't mine, I was nonetheless thrilled that I would be able to enjoy it without anyone knowing that I took it. Then I began a conversation with one of my female roomates. I was trying my best to flirt with her but she kept giving me the cold shoulder. I didn't remember the dream until later in the day - when I wanted ice cream. It is sad that I get shot down even in my dreams. Where did that expression "in your dreams" come from? Obviously not someone like me.

No comments: