Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I have Aspergers Syndrome

Maybe you think people with mental disabilities are unable, by definition, to properly diagnose themselves. But I bet to differ. I work with kids with Aspergers. Working with these kids has led me to conclude that either A. I have Aspergers or B. they are normal. What I am trying to say is their "problems" are the same that I have had. While Wikipedia offers several symptoms to define this condition, none of the kids exhibits any of them other than the avoidance of and uncomfortable feelings around people.

My mom said that she was worried that my teachers would think I was abused. I went to one day of basketball, cried and went home. I remember the first day of swimming lessons. I cried and went home. Karate didn't last long either. I peed my pants in kindergarten because I was too afraid to ask the teacher if I could go to the bathroom. My second grade report card said that I was getting so much better and that I found a friend to sit with on the steps during recess. I think the reason hockey lasted was because I got to wear a helmet or something...I don't know. Mom, if you can think of other embarrassing examples, feel free to share them.

Two of the kids aren't even as bad as I was. One is worse. So what's the point of this blog? I don't know. I was never told I had a disability, nor was I given any meds. Were I born in the metro area 15 years later, I would have been. It is frustrating working with these kids. Not so much because they frustrate me, but because their families do. One of the kids is allowed to play video games all his non-school and non-sleeping hours. One of the kid's parents monitors every single thing he does. Non of these kids have any friends. They aren't forced to do anything outside of their comfort zones.

Anyway, this blog comes after a frustrating two hour workday. The kid wouldn't shut off the computer, then he went nuts, spitting and breaking everything. I went home and my boss is now working.

3 comments:

Mark said...

and sorry for my poor english

Laura Ibsen said...

At least you didn't cry. :)

I think that's what public school is for. Kid's are tossed out there and forced to figure out how to fend for themselves, socially. I know it took me a hell of a long time to figure it out. Maybe I'm still working on it? :)

PS. Where have you been lately? Wine night is 23% less fun when you aren't there.

Anonymous said...

Mark,

I like you anyways. So much that today I named a baby lamb after you. Its name is Sugi. Once it was licked clean by its mother I could see it had the same markings as you! All black with one little dot of white on the back of its head.
Shannon